Central Stores was established by William Donald (Bill) Smith on Miller Street in Gilgandra, New South Wales in 1951.
A classic country store you could buy anything at Central Stores - including the kitchen sink. Cut-glass & crockery, radiograms & lounge suites, Globite suitcases & linoleum, paint, screws nuts & bolts - it was all to be found in the fastidiously neat isles at Central Stores. With a row of stools along the counter for customers to rest while they placed their order, Central Stores was quite the hub for a weekly catch up in town.
almost washed away
The 1955 Flood
Central Stores suffered extensive damage and loss of stock during a major flood in 1955 that affected much of central and northern NSW. Along with most of the businesses on Miller Street in Gilgandra, Central Stores was inundated with shoulder height muddy water. Showing the resilience of small town businesses Central Stores recovered and continued to operate until Bill Smith retired in 1969.
a new interpretation
Central Stores re-established
In January 2013 Bill’s granddaughter Elizabeth McAllister (Smith) re-established Central Stores on Miller Street after returning to her home town following 30 years working in the arts. Combining her love of design, fashion and art, Central Stores is now a country emporium featuring primarily Australian lifestyle fashion, accessories, homewares, art and books. Located just a few doors down from her grandfathers original store, Central Stores has again become a destination for the small town of Gilgandra.